Using a Self Directed IRA for Real Estate Investment
IRA Real Estate Investing
You can use money from your self directed IRA (or someone else's) for real estate investment. Self-directed IRA investment from someone else's IRA is often called private money lending..
Most people that have an IRA or old 401k invest their money in either low yielding money market funds, bonds or stocks. Few people know of something called a
from which you can invest in a wide variety of instruments such as mortgages, real estate, tax liens and franchises in addition to traditional stocks. Every financial adviser is telling you to diversify your portfolio but to them, it is usually limited to the realm of stocks and bonds.
With a Self Directed IRA investment you are prohibited from buying real estate that you live in or collectibles, but there are many ways to invest that can be quite profitable. My brother took an old 401k when he left his job and put it into a real estate investment IRA and has been investing in ocean front property. Since one of the mega-trends in real estate is the growth in the value of ocean front, he has made a small fortune, all accumulating in a Roth IRA which he will not have to pay taxes on.
Another method of making money with IRA real estate investing is to become a bank. Everyone who has paid interest in a credit card or other loan and then looked at the measly interest rate in their savings account knows that banks can make a lot of money. Many real estate investors are looking for funds and are willing to pay a higher interest rate than normal - 10%, 12% or more. This is a much more secure use of IRA funds then investing in
peer to peer loans.
When I have used private money lenders, I pay 10% interest with the loan secured by a Deed, Promissory Note, Title Insurance and Hazard Insurance. Loans will never exceed 75% of the after-repaired value of the house, so even should a lender have to foreclose, he or she should be able to recover their equity. Choosing an established investor should reduce that risk. This creates a relatively safe investment compared to stocks. A good place to find real estate investors is a local
Real Estate Investment Club
which usually has meetings advertised in the real estate section of the paper every month.
There are many companies that will convert your existing IRA or an old 401K into a self directed IRA:
- Equity Trust
- Pensco - very highly recommended to me by others
- Guidant - Expensive but seems like the most flexible
I've put my IRA into Equity Trust. You can't lend money to yourself, but you can purchase real estate using the IRA. Should you decide to do this, investigate it carefully and do your due diligence. You cannot loan money to your business. However, you can purchase a portion of a piece of real estate as long as you adhere to something called "undivided interest".
So if I buy a property for $20K using $10k from my IRA I have 50% interest. When I sell the property 50% of the sale price must go back to the IRA.
Real estate investment in an IRA is an excellent way to buy real estate with
100% financing in investment property.
Use a self directed IRA for real estate.
Return from Self directed IRA to Real Estate Loans
Investing in Rental Property Home
- How to Get Rich and Build Wealth
- Learn the secrets of how to get rich by using leverage and compounding. Learn the 8 steps to becoming financially independent.
- The Best Investment - Real Estate, Stocks or Gold?
- What is the best investment to make? Investing in rental property can beat stocks, bonds and gold in security, return and tax advantages.
- Investment in Rental Property - Rental Property Investment
- Investment in rental property page outllines the basic skills and knowledge you need to be a real estate investor and to avoid risk when buying rental houses
- Owning Rental Property - Adding Investment Property to your Portfolio
- Owning Rental Property; Learn how to choose the right investing software, make wise property investment choices, calculate property depreciation, real estate tax information and tips on finding the best investment property
- Buying a House for Rental Property Investment
- Some tips for buying a house for use as a rental property investment
- Residential Real Estate Investing Guide
- Single family residential real estate investing is the best way to start investing in rental property - buy a house!
- Buying Foreclosures - Buying a Home after Foreclosure - Buying a Bank Foreclosure
- What to look for when buying foreclosures either at foreclosure auctions or after foreclosure - bank owned properties
- Home Inspection and Home Repair Advice
- Perform a thorough home inspection before buying rental property. Get some house inspection tips on the knowledge you need to buy an investment property
- Get a free credit score instantly from 3 credit agencies and learn how to improve credit score
- Get a free credit score online instantly, what your free credit score report means and learn tips about how to improve your credit score
- Creative Real Estate Investing Ideas
- Here's a long list of creative real estate investing ideas to do deals for your rental property investment business
- Real Estate Loans - How to Finance Investment Property
- Real estate loans - the most complete guide to financing investment property on the web. Learn every source of funding your property investment.
- Rent to Own Advantage - Using Lease Options
- Leasing your house with a rent to own investing concept will optimize your profit and minimize tenant problems. Sometimes called lease purchase, lease with option to buy or lease with option to purchase. This type of renting mimimzes empty property, maximizes rent and gives you the best tenants.
- Tenant Screening Tips and Tenant Credit Checks
- Some tenant screening tips to ensure that your lease-purchase tenant will take care of your property. Doing tenant credit checks.
- Flipping Real Estate - selling your Investment Rental Property
- Flipping real estate the slow way makes more sense than the popular TV shows methods
- Investment Property Exchange - 1031 Property Exchange
- Use an investment property exchange (also called a 1031 property exchange) to sell your rental property without paying taxes
- Real Estate Forms - Free Real Estate Contracts
- Some basic real estate forms for rental property investment including lease option contracts for a rent to own concept and free real estate purchase agreement
- Real Estate Investing FAQ
- Real estate investing FAQ, ask or find answers to your rental property investing concerns, tenant problems or other investment property question
- Real Estate Legal Tips - Protecting Investment Property Assets
- Real estate legal tips to help you when buying and owning investment rental property - protecting your investment property assets, dealing with tenants, real estate forms
- Real Estate Resources to help investing in rental property
- A guide to real estate resources - real estate book, real estate courses and real estate web sites
- Investment Rental Property Blog
- Get updates to the Investing-in-Rental-Property website as new information is added and the latest news that relates to investments in rental property
- Investing in Rental Property SiteMap
- Detail list of web pages for Investing in Rental Property Website
- Free Real Estate Articles
- Real estate investing articles published by Investing-in-Rental-Property.com
- Contact Us at Investing in Rental Property
- Contact Us at Investing in rental Property Website
- Disclaimer Investing in Rental Property
- A disclaimer about the website Investing-in-rental-property.com
- About Investing in Rental Property Website
- About the author of the Investing in Rental Property web site